We recognize that all sorts of things happen to smartphones and tablets, including upgrading to new devices, so we've made it easy for you to regain access to your data with a new device using recovery words.
Important: To use this recovery method you should have at least one recovery word set.
What you'll need to get started:
- Your replacement device with the Atakama Mobile app installed.
- Your Atakama offline recovery words.
- Your computer running Atakama.
Follow these steps to add your new device, then remove your old device.
- Launch Atakama on your computer if it's not already running and open Control Center:
- Windows users: Click the Atakama icon in your system tray, then click on the gear icon, and choose Control Center.
- macOS users: Click the Atakama icon in your menu bar, then click on the gear icon, and choose Control Center.
- With the Control Center screen open, select the Keys tab.
- Click the "Replace" button next to the device to be replaced.
- Click the "Replace this device using recovery words" button and follow the prompts.
- Install the Atakama Mobile app on your replacement device.
- Open Atakama Mobile on your replacement device. Tap on "Restore from Key on Paper"
- On the next screen, enter each of the offline recovery words, then select "Confirm Words." Note: your offline recovery words may be used once only.
- Once you finish entering the recovery words, choose one of the available linking methods on your computer.
- On your new device select "Scan QR Code" or "Enter Linking Code" depending on the method you chose in step 8.
- After you finish linking your device, you will see this window:
- Click the "Complete" button.
- You will need to create a new set of offline recovery words, as the previous word set you used is no longer valid. Click the "Okay" button, then follow the prompts.
- Click "Start" when you finish creating the new set of offline recovery words.
- Approve a "New Profile Change" request on your new mobile device. Depending on how many files you have protected with Atakama, this may take a few minutes to complete.
- Click "Complete."
Your replacement device has now been added to your Atakama profile.